Simon586

New App version in Apple App Store but old version shows on iPhone after update

Wonder if anyone else is getting this.

I have created, packaged as IPA and uploaded new version of app to Apple. Apple have reviewed it and approved it and the new version appears in the App Store.

The user updates the app but even though it shows they have the new version, the OLD VERSION still shows on the device. If the user deletes the app completely and then reinstalls it from the App store it's now the NEW version. So it's definitely the NEW version on the App Store but it doesn't seem to be showing on the device unless it's a new install (i.e. the app either hasn't been downloaded before or has been deleted). It appears like the device is caching the old version and showing that. Any ideas why?

This does NOT occur with Android, which updates beautifully.

Obviously it's not a suitable workaround to get my users to delete and reinstall the app everytime there's an update, as they need to enter their details in every time (and local storage is cleared everytime they delete the app).

Can't work out if this is an iOS bug, Cordova iOS bug or Appery bug.

Any advice or ideas really appreciated

Evgene Karachevtsev

Re: New App version in Apple App Store but old version shows on iPhone after update

Hello,

Could you please provide us with more details of this issue? What devices were used for tests, do you use any custom Cordova plugins, and have you changed anything on the Source tab of your Appery.io project?

Simon586

Re: New App version in Apple App Store but old version shows on iPhone after update

Hi Evgene,

Thanks for the response.

Tested on iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone 8 (plus a number of others my users have tried).

Only changes to source are changes of icons to provide the right Push Notification icons (instead of the Appery ones). Nothing on any of the pages source.

I'm using the Cordova Call Number Plugin (which I've used lots of times before).

When I update the app the storage used for the app (app size) increases, almost like the app has installed again and both versions are there but only shows the old version.

Thanks

Simon

Evgene Karachevtsev

Dear Simon,

This is strange. Could you please also detail if the Auto Update works for your app without updating the app to the App Store previously? Could you please try building the app from the builder and installing it on your phone and then make some changes in the project and test the Auto Update?

Simon586

Hi Evgene,

I thought it was strange too.

I haven't used the Auto Update before (only ever gone through the app store).

Do you have a document on how it works please and how to implement it.

Thanks

Simon

Oleg Solodiuk

Hello Simon,

What framework(Ionic, JQM or Ionic 4) are you using?

Unfortunately, our developers are still working on the implementation "Auto update" option for Ionic 4 framework, but if you are using Ionic or JQM frameworks, please check information about automatic update here: https://docs.appery.io/docs/appexport-auto-update
This is for you to know that adding/replacing app launch icons requires that your app gets published through the app store.

Simon586

Thank you.

I'm using JQM so that's good.

I'll give it a try and report back.

Simon

Return to “Issues”