RP

Contacts Tutorial Sample App Works using Appery Test App but not as Binary Export Installed on Phone

I created an app using the backup file from the contacts tutorial example located here: https://devcenter2.appery.io/tutorial...

The sample app works well in the test environment and using the Appery.io Tester App to launch it. However, if i export the app to an android binary apk and install it on a samsung note 8 the Find contact does not work as it does in the test environment (no contacts are retrieved).

I ensured app permissions is set to allow to all. I have tried debug and release exports as well.

Thoughts on why the exported binary behaves differently from the Appery.io Tester App launching of the same contacts app? I have made no changes to the original tutorial example.

Illya Stepanov

Contacts Tutorial Sample App Works using Appery Test App but not as Binary Export Installed on Phone

Hello -

This is an outdated documentation resource and the backup file uses outdated libraries version and Cordova plugins are turned off.

The Appery.io Tester App has predefined Cordova libraries version and set of Cordova plugins. When you exporting the binary file some additional settings configuration needed for overall libraries version for the project and Android binary settings for setting the minimum and target SDK versions to run on the device.

RP

Thank you. That helps explain it. So is there new documentation or tutorial how to read contacts from a phone using Appery.io?

RP

I created a new project from scratch following the tutorial and got the new libraries so the sample app is working now.

However, I would like to know how to update the libraries of the older app. Any documentation on how do to that in appery.io? Do I remove the service and re-import a current version of the plug in? or is there an update feature?

Illya Stepanov

Hi again,

If you mean the backup file from that tutorial then you can make updates that I've mentioned above with the following steps --

After restoring the backup file in the App Builder open App Settings Resources and increase the Libraries version:

After applying the newer libraries version to the App goto Cordova plugins section and enable Contacts plugin there and Notification (*optionally).

And before exporting the APK file for Android platforms make changes in Android binary:

After that, you can export the binary APK file and install it on your Android device.

Return to “Issues”