CB

Migration from Parse to Appery

As Parse.com is being phased out, there is increased interest in migrating to Appery's services.

Parse has provided the ability to migrate data to a MongoDB URL, but it seems Appery does/would not support this. The exported JSON and CSV files are not 1:1 compatible from Parse to Appery. Pointers, booleans, dates, and ACL information are also not 1:1, as well as a few other differences.

Anyway, I have searched for suggestions with no luck. I hope that there is a more simple way of migrating the data, than what I have in mind. This involves setting up a local connection to pull from the Parse data collections, mangling the data, and pushing back to Appery through the Appery REST calls. Any related files hosted on Parse will need to be downloaded manually, and uploaded to either Appery or another file host, then re-associated as needed. With this method, there is plenty of room for error.

If there is a better way, or a planned addition of a migration tool, I'd be interested in more information.

maxkatz

Hi CB -

Can you share a sample database file export from Parse? We need the metadata (columns, etc) and a few rows of data. It can be sample data. We will try to import it and provide any import instructions.

CB

Hello, Max. Thank you very much for the fast response. I have put together some test data that could be used. It iincludes some of the mismatched items I mentioned previously (dates, booleans, Pointers).

This first file contains a few "Company" rows. I ran in to issues with Appery imports where data is not matched for all records, just as a head's up. http://dropcanvas.com/k5z5a/2

This second file contains a few "Company Group" rows. It includes the Pointers which go to the objectId of the "Company" records. http://dropcanvas.com/k5z5a/1

To note, "objectId" is equivalent of "_id", and the "createdAt" and "updatedAt" are Parse "Date" types. "CompanyId" is a pointer to "Companies"."objectId", "is_archived" is a "Boolean" type, and all other columns are "String" type.

maxkatz

Hi CB - one of our team leads went thought the import process. It's not a "simple" process as the data structure/types are different from what we and Parse use. There are a probably many more aspects that need custom/manual importing. I can share the steps with you, but it's far from a complete guide.

Another option is to use our Advisory Pack service (http://appery.io/services) where we would help you migrate your data from Parse to Apppery.io

CB

Yes, Max. This is complication is exactly what I had explained originally. I was hoping Appery had, or planned on having, a tool to help migrate data from current Parse databases. I expect that there are others out there looking to do the same. Now we all know. :)

Thanks!

maxkatz

We are planning to publish a guide on how to migrate. We are not planning an actual automatic migration tool.

CB

That sounds good! There is a plan already in place for me, but I think it's great that there will be a resource available for others.

Return to “Issues”