Andrew Peacock

Auto-update vs export HTML/JS/CSS

Hi,
Following on from my comments yesterday about auto-update and the lengthy black screen, could you clarify the difference between auto-update vs exporting the HTML/JS/CSS in terms of file contents.

If i export the files, and then upload them into the app via other 3rd party plugin (like the Content-Sync plugin), will that miss files that are updated via your own auto-update function?

Or do export and auto-update result in the same files being made available?

Regards,
Andy

Serhii Kulibaba

Hello Andrew,

Auto update feature updates all app's files, if you click export button: https://devcenter.appery.io/documenta...

Andrew Peacock

Hi Sergiy,
What about the Export HTML/JS/CSS option - does that export the same as auto-update?
Andy

Serhii Kulibaba

No, you have to build .apk or .ipa file to run autoupdate feature

Andrew Peacock

Hi Sergiy,

Ok, I understand that auto-update runs of java/C code that you've embed in the .ipa or .apk file, and so depend on the Appery publishing of the apk/ipa, so let me provide more details:

Although as a developer, I'd like the auto-update feature, it's a shocking user experience for my users: they go to the app store, install the app, their screen goes black for 30? seconds.... No splash page, no spinning icon, just a black screen.

So, what I'm thinking is to do development in Appery as per usual, but use one of the other options (the Content-Sync plugin probably), to manage the updates so that the user has to click a button to launch the upgrade. That puts the upgrade back in their control so they know what is happening.

However, to use content-sync, I'll have to use the Export feature.

What I'm worried about is this: if I use Export, does that include all the files that the auto-update includes, or will Export miss some files that I've changed in Appery?

Hope that makes sense.

Regards,
Andy

Andrew Peacock

Hi Sergiy,
I've done some investigation: the ZIP which is used by the auto-update function includes the /app/modals and /app/directives folders. The latter includes backButton.js and navigateTo.js

However, the Export ZIP doens't include those folders and files.

There may be other changes, as I've not finished the comparison yet.

This raises another issue: anyone using backbutton or navigateto functions will I guess find they don't work if using the Export function. Is that right?

Regards,
Andy

maxkatz

We will be making the update experience much better: https://getsatisfaction.com/apperyio/...

Andrew Peacock

Thanks Max, I'll follow that discussion.

Return to “Issues”