Joe7349603

FileUpload Plugin and its Support for Offline Upload (APIExpress)

I am working on an APP leveraging APIExpresss for offline capabilities. As part of it I am allowing users to upload images/files and for that I am using Fileupload Plugin which is provided by Appery. How can I get that plugin to support offline capabilities similar to the APIExpress i.e. queueing edits for later submission when there is no internet.

My file upload service has to be executed first because I use the file url (after success event) and load that with the rest of the data. i.e. 2 services are called for each submission: 1st File Upload and on Success I call 2nd Service to load the rest of the data.

Appreciate some ideas.

Evgene Karachevtsev

Hello Joe,

Unfortunately this is impossible now. We want to realize this feature in future, but it's hard to estimate time, when it will be created.

Joe7349603

Thanks Evgene,

What's Appery's recommendations on this because it sounds like offline support is only partially supported by Appery i.e. only provided for text data and not files (images etc) data that is being uploaded to Files Correction which is where images are loaded by default.

Do you think you can suggest work-arounds for this, I was really excited about the offline capabilities and how APIExpress was handling that but I now feel a little disappointed that full offline capabilities is really not supported especially if you are to load images when leveraging Appery's DB.

How are others in the community dealing with this?

Joe7349603

Any feedback on this or I am on my own from here on!

Galyna Abramovych
Site Admin

Hello Joe,

Here is an update on the offline support you inquired:
You are right - at the moment, only text information is supported offline. The feature of supporting binary offline is actively being worked on right now and is planned with the next release.
If you need it sooner, you can try converting your data in base64 and receive a string.
Hope, this helps.

Joe7349603

Thanks Galyna,

Do you when the next release is?
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think converting to base64 would solve the issue because APIExpress cannot be connected to Files Correction which is the default location of images. So my APIExpress is only connected to Text Data collection and not Files Collection. Am I missing something here.

I have tried using API Express for text information and handling binary data different (checking for internet before uploading images then calling API express etc) but achieving consistency by consistently checking for internet to load images manually and then calling APIExpress to automate offline capabilities it has been a challenge.

It would be really nice to get some direction from developers on the best approach to deal with this. i.e. using APIExpress in conjuction with binary data. Otherwise I feel like dropping the API express altogether handling offlinining differently :(

Joe7349603

Soon after this submission, I saw a posting by Max Katz: "Binary data support in API Express has been removed (due to a bug) and will be re-released in September. Use Server Code script as a workaround."

If someone from Appery can provide clarity on this two items I would be the happiest Appery customer and I would be willing to hold off development until this Sept release:

1) Exact date of release in Sept
2) If this functionality means Fully offline capability/support when uploading images

Galyna Abramovych
Site Admin

Hello Joe,

In answer to your questions:

1. Unfortunately, the exact September release date has not been set as for the time being.

2. The offline binary data support will definitely apply to uploading images.

I hope this piece of news has made you a bit happier. )

Arsalan Ijaz

Hi Galyna

Is image upload via API Express now supported?

Illya Stepanov

Hello Arsalan,

In API Express Generated services this is now supported. If you storing images in the relational database or in Appery.io Database this is supported and it has size limitation for such files - 5Mb.

Return to “Issues”