M&M

Is anyone able to use admob without Google Play Services?

hi,

Has anyone on this forum ever had any luck in getting Google Play Services to work with Appery?

I believe there also has been some change in which Google Play services will be used as they no longer support the older method.

I heard something that goes along the lines of

code
<framework src="com&#46;google&#46;android&#46;gms:play-services-plus:+" /> <framework src="com&#46;google&#46;android&#46;gms:play-services-identity:+" />>
/code

Example
code
<framework src="com&#46;google&#46;android&#46;gms:play-services-location:7&#46;5&#46;0" />
/code

This gms thingy has been a cause of such pain. I have been able to tackle almost everything except this. It's a new error every time I try something different with gms ",). I don't find the samn jars on maven repo. If I try to fit in the jars, then I have another set of weird errors.

Google play services is essential for stuff like AdMob and strangely I can't find one simple way or plugin to include this into Appery ".)

I don't really have high hopes on getting this one solved on the forum but out of frustration I thought I should retry :-D

Developing for Android platform without being able to add gms dependency seems to be either super funny, or super stupid :-D - and on a serious note none of that is really funny.

I am totally surprised and taken aback as not one expert could help me with this - something that is seemingly simple

Thanks,
M&M

Vinny B

Hello

Code: Select all

I appreciate your help with my other issue. I wanted to comment on this since its a lost issue with Appery. Appery myself and others have tried and we gave it our best shot but the only way I was able to get it to work was by exporting the app to eclipse. Once in eclipse it is very easy to implement.  

Here is the thread were we tried https://getsatisfaction.com/apperyio/...

Here is a video I made to help others alltough it long and old now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kspi3...

Vinny B

M&M

hmmm, actually I have been able to get other dependencies like greenrobot/EventBus and even android.support.v4 to build, compile properly - with some experimentation though. I am hesitant about the Google Play services because I want to do it the correct way, and not the deprecated way. To add to the woes Google has changed the way in which the Services will be accessed and the older method is deprecated. I am not sure if the apps using the older method will get rejected in the Play store or something!

As this is a critical and complex project I prefer not to take risks and wanted Appery's help on a standard, acceptable way to add this dependency. But sometimes I get 2-3 line replies like "create a pom file" and "add some version" in it and all that.

Certain things like a sample pom, or a few words on whether the pom should carry all the information as downloaded from maven repo, or just a part of it - well, all these I consider important cos I want my app to be as reliable and robust as I can make it. In short I do not want to learn it at the customers expense :-)

Thanks a lot for the link and the video. If I make any progress I will post some information to help others who are struggling with Google Play services in Appery.

M&M

Vinny B

If anyone can do it you can. I appreciate all your help with in my other projects and the example was awesome. Do u mine telling me your app if its public on google play store so I can see your work?

M&M

Yup, thanks. As far as my App development experience is concerned - I have only made couple of Apps for in-house use, and that depends on a backend that provides REST services. So those will not be usable outside unless there is a paid account to the services provided by the Company. The current App that I am working on will not have such restrictions but it is still a work in progress. Will post a link once that's complete,

Cheers,
M&M

Vinny B

Hello
I truly don't understand how Appery has not come up with a solution to add ads easily. You would think it would be a priority since there like any other company and want to make money and so do we. Anyway I found this on Github and you know I have very little experience but I thought it might help you. https://github.com/appfeel/admob-goog... . Again I appreciate your help on my other problem..

M&M

Thanks for the information on the admob plugin. I've decided to hold back the Ads for a while - initially because of the difficulties faced and now the main focus is to make Google Play Services accessible to the app. Without that service it is quite difficult to get things like background geolocation, geo-fencing etc to work reliably and efficiently.

The Fused Location Provider API is used to get updates about a device's location and it is a part of the Google Play services Location APIs. If I engage the location capabilities of the device in any other way, it sure is gona drain the battery real fast.

Cheers,
M&M

maxkatz

Adding the Admob Cordova plugin will be very simple soon. We are working on a wizard that will allow you to import any Cordova plugin.

Vinny B

Thats Great... All the updates since last year have been awesome.

Bruce Stuart

Max, how soon will that capability be available? (Guestimate?)

Return to “Issues”