Bryce

How do I check if the session token is still active?

When navigation to a certain page, I want to check if the user is logged in and their session token is still active.

If the session token does not exist, or it has expired, I want the user to be re-directed to a "login" page.

I have read responses to other similar questions that say that the way to check that a user is logged in is to look at the localStorage variable "userSessionToken" to see if it is populated.

However, this solution is not suitable for the following scenario:

• user logs in (localStorage "userSessionToken" = [token value] )

• user sits idle for over 120 minutes

• current session token is now expired, however, the localStorage variable is still populated with the same [token value]

• when user now tries to perform a PUT request (which requires an active token), it will fail.

I want to avoid this above scenario by performing a check on whether the current token I have stored in my localStorage variable is still active or not before I try perform the PUT request.

How is the best (most efficient) way for me to do this?

One thought I had was to simply perform a 'dummy' List or Query service, with the only request being the session token, and if this returns a SUCCESS response, then the token is active (and if it returns an ERROR it has expired), however I assume this may also return a lot of other data and even though I'm not mapping any of it, it still may take some time and cause data usage to be high.

I also could not see a way to do a simple LIST of QUERY service on the Users data collection. Is this possible?

Can you provide a suggestion as to the best (most efficient) way to perform this check?

Thanks.

Maryna Brodina

Hello! Yes, the only one way is to perform dummy request using token. If no data returns - token is expired. To avoid getting any other data, make request to get data only for specific (logged in) user. This way you receive only one record. Please take a look here http://docs.appery.io/documentation/b...

Bryce

Thanks Maryna,

However, can you tell me how to add a query service for the Users data collection?

When I click "Create new - Database Services", I only get the login, logout, signup services to import, and only the Data collections that I created are available to select for query/list/update/etc... services.

It doesn't give me the option to automatically import services for the Users collection.

If I need to create this as a RESTservice from scratch, using a database URL as shown in the example, then how to I make the UserID dynamic, so that I can populate it from a localStorage variable?

Maryna Brodina

Yes, you need to create this as a RESTservice from scratch, using a database URL as shown in the example. To dynamically set id in URL follow these steps:
1) Service URL should look like this prehttps://api.appery.io/rest/1/db/users/{userID}/pre2) add request parameter userID
3) do mapping from localStorage variable to userID

ang .

Hi, I am trying to use server code to check if token is expired.
But when testing, I always get the response "0", even though the parameters I passed are valid user id and valid session token.

here's my code:
code
// Declare database ID and Master key
var dbId = "dbid&quot
var masterKey = "my master key&quot

var userId = requestParams['id'];
var token = requestParams['userSessionToken']

try {

//fetch current user details using token provided
//if no result returned, it means the token is expired
var XHRResponse = XHR.send("GET", "https://api.appery.io/rest/1/db/users/" + userId, {
"headers": {
"X-Appery-Database-Id": dbId,
"X-Appery-Master-Key": masterKey,
"X-Appery-Session-Token": token
}
});

// If token valid
if (XHRResponse.body.length) {
responseBody.message = "1&quot
response.success(responseBody, "application/json");
}
else
{
responseBody.message = "0&quot
response.success(responseBody, "application/json");
}
} catch (e) {
response.success("message: " + e.message + "\ncode: " + e.code); //If something goes wrong, error message appears
}
/code

What is wrong with my code?

Kateryna Grynko

Hello,

We are working on it.

ang .

Hi thx,

Actually what I want to achieve is having a global function to check token validity.
My plan is:

1) Create server code as above to check for token

2) Create a javascript, with a function to call the server code

3) In every page that is account based, call the javascript function

However, how can I execute the server code from javascript?
I don't want to add server code on every page, then call " datasourcename.execute({});" separately because datasource name is different for different page.

Kateryna Grynko

Hi,

1) Try this code in Server code:precode var responseBody = {},
requestParams = {},
paramKeys = request.keys();
for (var key = 0; key < paramKeys&#46;length; key++) {
requestParams[paramKeys[key]] = request&#46;get(paramKeys[key]);
}
&#47;&#47; Declare database ID
var dbId = "51b8c9a7e4b0e832dd8ff987&quot
var userId = requestParams['id'];
var token = requestParams['userSessionToken']
try {
&#47;&#47;fetch current user details using token provided
&#47;&#47;if no result returned, it means the token is expired
var XHRResponse = XHR&#46;send("GET", "https:&#47;&#47;api&#46;appery&#46;io/rest/1/db/users/" + userId, {
"headers": {
"X-Appery-Database-Id": dbId,
"X-Appery-Session-Token": token
}
});
&#47;&#47; If token valid
if (XHRResponse&#46;body&#46;id == userId) {
responseBody&#46;message = "1&quot
response&#46;success(responseBody, "application/json");
} else {
responseBody&#46;message = "0&quot
response&#46;success(responseBody, "application/json");
}
} catch (e) {
response&#46;success("message: " + e&#46;message + "\ncode: " + e&#46;code); &#47;&#47;If something goes wrong, error message appears
}/code/pre
2) You can create a global service in JavaScript asset and call it from any page:precodevar checkService;
$(function(){
checkService = new Appery&#46;DataSource(my_check_service, {
'onComplete': function(jqXHR, textStatus) {},
'onSuccess': function(data) {},
'onError': function(jqXHR, textStatus, errorThrown) {},
'responseMapping': [],
'requestMapping': []
});
});/code/preWhere 'my_check_service' is a service name.
To call this service use:precheckService&#46;execute({data: {"id": localStorage&#46;getItem("userId"), "_userSessionToken": localStorage&#46;getItem("sessionToken")}})/pre
You would need to add some actions to onSuccess/onError/onComplete event to perform needed actions depending on a check result.

Asif

Hi,
I am using the login,logout services with session in my app and they work fine! I have read all the above messages!
I just need to know that how do I stay logged in even after user sits idle for 120 minutes! I don't want the user to auto-logout after he sits idle or minimises or even closes the application! I want user to stay logged in forever until user presses the logout button!
Also I want to refresh the page when the user opens the minimised app!
Is there any possible way to do that?
Thanks in advance!

Yurii Orishchuk

Hi Asif,

Please read first Marinas answer in this thread.

After app defines that token is expired - it should run "login" service automatically with stored in LSV user "login" and "pass" and get new session token.

Regards.

Return to “Issues”