mfratto

Debugging and visibility into REST request and response

Provide a way to see the request, the retrieved when testing an app.

I have spent hours trying to get a data service to work. I can get it from the data source. I can populate the fields. I can map the fields, but when I try to actually use the data, invariably, nothing is displayed.

The solution is to send an email to support to get help. You folks are very helpful (Max) and I do appreciate your taking the time to provide help and get things working, but it is very frustrating to have to have you do something for me that I should be able to do myself. And then, I certainly can't touch the application for fear it will break.

Here is the feature request:
Provide somewhere page when I try to test the prototype, output of the request that was made, the response that was returned (including errors), and some kind of debugging showing where the data ends up.

That gives me an opportunity to figure out where things break without having to bug support.

Mike

maxkatz

Mike - thanks for your feedback.

When you define a service, there is a Test service features where you can enter sample input, invoke the service and then see the output. In case of an error, you will see the error message there. I know that you tried it, are you looking for additional debugging features?

You mention a page, would that be a Web page where you test the service?

Are you looking for debug features when running the app, for example when you don't see any output rendered?

mfratto

'Are you looking for debug features when running the app, for example when you don't see any output rendered?"

Yes, that. I have no visibility into what is happening on the page. :)

maxkatz

Again, thanks for your feedback. Because the app is running in the browser, you can use standard tools available for debugging (setting break points, etc) and viewing request/response data. You can use the popular Firebug or the buill-in Developers Tools in Chrome, as an example.

Having said that, we are working on a number of features to make some parts "more visible" and simpler to debug.

Return to “Issues”