RobertJay

Fix huge gap in Appery's support of an important mobile app use case

During development I've run my pure-web app by linking to Appery's built-in domain -- and it looks great there.

The problem is that I want MY domain name, not Appery's, to appear in the browser, and always planned to therefore use my own domain which would redirect (forward) calls to Appery.

Sadly, the app in that scenario looks horrible to the point of not being usable. The reason for the difference is apparently that Appery loads some jQuery styling library when calls are made directly to its domain, but that library is not loaded when the call is redirected to it. One result is that the page frame is lost, and therefore on smart phones pages become effectively unusable.

My idea is for Appery to put some mechanism in place in the UI to cause that library to be loaded. Perhaps the new libraries Appery is actively developing will solve this for NEW apps when completed and deemed usable for production, but this idea would immediately and dramatically help CURRENT apps look acceptable under both very-important and common use cases.

Thank you.

maxkatz

Whether you publish to an Appery.io domain or your custom domain - the app should look and work exactly the same.

If you are referring to this frame:

it's only for testing, it's not part of the files when you publish the app to Appery.io domain, your custom domain, or just export the app web resources.

If the app looks different if you deploy to Appery.io domain vs custom domain - it could be a bug. Can you send more information to a href="mailto:support@appery.io" rel="nofollow"support@appery.io/a?

RobertJay

Max, I've been working with support for a week - ticket 12274. I've sent you a link to a video I sent them showing the problem on my iPhone. You'll see that the app does not work exactly the same as you suggest.

RobertJay

UPDATE: I've just noticed that Appery decided not to accept this idea. All I can suggest to developers in the future is this:

If you're developing a pure web app using Appery's standard template for a mobile device and do not want Appery's name in your users' browser title bar, test early and often that its appearance on the target device is acceptable to you.

maxkatz

As I mentioned in my original reply, the apps should look and work exactly the same, regardless of the domain used. This appears to be a bug that's why I asked you to send more information to support.

RobertJay

Thanks very much Max for your involvement.

maxkatz

We looked into this problem. You are using tag to display the Appey.io URL ([url=http://.app.appery.io]http://.app.appery.io[/url]) inside your custom URL ([url=http://.info]http://.info[/url])

To fix zoom issue you should add
inside section on your custom URL.

RobertJay

Thanks Max - I'm on the road for a couple of days and will test and update early next week.

RobertJay

Max, I responded to your email which had more a specific solution (thank you). But unfortunately, as mentioned there with some specific questions, I don't know how to implement what you suggest. If there is a tutorial, something in the docs or another forum thread which provides instructions, I'd appreciate a link. Thanks.

RobertJay

UPDATE: With the help of Max, the culprit has been found: GoDaddy, the host of my domain, forwards with a frame when masking is requested, and Appery loses its own nice formatting when a frame is received. So it looks like Appery gets some free advertising when hosting the app since I can't use masking . For what it's worth, I'm going to submit an "idea" for this to be addressed.

Return to “Issues”