Jack Bua

Database Platform Pointer Value Lookup Placeholder

I have a very cool idea that would save me from making fields in the database that dont really need to be there. It would be great if a pointer field was able to show a field from the collection it was pointing to instead of the ID. for example a collection has a field of 'user_ptr' which is a pointer field to the Users collection would show, instead of the ID, a field selected by me from the Users collection, like username.

I dont know if this would be possible easily, but since I often make edits directly into the database and monitor the data, this would keep me from having to find the user id, opening a new tab, going to the users collection and figuring out what what user that is.

maxkatz

The pointer has to point to an id of the object because the id is unique. As an option, you can add a second column to the collection that would include the username of the collection where the pointer points to.

Jack Bua

I already do that in certain cases, but it is often not as useful as it could be since in almost every case that I am doing that, I have done so as an afterthought, so the column is all the way at the end and not by the pointer. Unfortunately I cannot rearrange the order that the columns are in either, or change their type. I've seen these things suggested before, so I figured I would suggest something different.

John de Quarius

Max, you should have a backend MySQL service and it should come natively or perhaps an option to select which appery backend you would like to use. I know there is the API Express to use your own server but I thought maybe if you have the option to select the collection type as your mBaas then that would be awesome.

maxkatz

A collection is a part of the database. It has to be either a collection/table in MySQL database or MongoDB (NoSQL). You wouldn't be able to mix the two.

Return to “Issues”