Matt Scott

slow transitions in both tester and in apk in googe play

I'll be away for a couple of days, and won't do anything on the app project until Monday. I'll check in here on the forums for updates until then. Thanks again.

Mohammad Salek

Hi Matt,

I tested your app on Android version of 4.4.2 (To be specific on Nexus tablet) and reproduced the same issue. You are right, it works slowly and it's not convenient for public use. About step #5 that you said earlier, I want to point out that on my tablet (android 4.4.2), the collapsible is functioning but when I double click it, not by a single tap. We are trying to find a solution to your issue about the speed of this app and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Matt Scott

Thanks very much for your assistance. I really appreciate it.

Again, I'm open to doing whatever we need to do to address these issues, even if that means changing all my image centering, background loading, etc. coding from Java to css.

Whatever needs to be done. I am really desperate to get the app out to our organization's members.

** note - the background image flashing/popping that I have written about in another topic is likely a related issue to these. **

Again, thanks very much!

Louis

If you manage to fix this issue I will be interested in knowing what optimisations you have made in general, as I'm also looking to increase speed of transitions between pages etc.

Maryna Brodina

Hello!

You can speed up transition by decreasing pages number. For every page you have two versions. It is better to use one and do localization this way http://devcenter.appery.io/tutorials/.... You can also remove "Transition effect" while navigating between screens.

Matt Scott

Hi Maryna,

Thanks for your response. You are always very helpful, and I appreciate your time.

1. But for this issue, the problem is much more than just reducing pages. I have already tried that before, and it didn't work at all. (This maybe an issue if I had 100's of pages, but my app is quite small - with about 20 pages in use. Should not be a problem).

Just so the appery team can see, I have copied the app and saved it as a test version - "Gospel Tools - Test." It has been shared with appery support.

In this test version, you can see that I have removed about 75% of the pages, leaving only a few, again just to show that it doesn't make any difference. It is still very slow in many android versions. - (as I have detailed above - no need to post again here). And, the issue of swipe left/right with my finger, is still terrible. It still takes many tries of swiping to get the page to move.

2. As for the idea of localization, thank you. I may try that in the future. But again, the problem is still exactly the same even when I have only a few pages. So, I will not work on localization now, because the number of pages is not the issue.

3. As for the removing of transition effect - i have already removed transition effects for tapping on buttons - but I simply cannot and will not remove the transition effect of sliding when a user swipes the finger on their screen. It is the most basic function of apps, to be able to swipe and see the screen slide back and forth. There should not be any issue with this most basic function of an app.

4. All this still leaves me thinking... is there some issue with my java commands, that I use for image backgrounds, centering, etc.? As you can see in the app, I have tried the various codes found here at appery for background images, centering, etc. I just wonder if there is some conflict between multiple "run" commands/"load" commands etc.

Again - these issues are only on Android. Apple is great.

5. Very interesting to me also - for Apple, I compiled the project in xCode, and uploaded to the app store. The final size of the file after it is in the app store is only 1.5 mb. When I upload the app to Google Play, the size of the file in Play is 10+mb. Perhaps this is normal, I have no idea? I just wondered if there is some issue when i use appery to compile the app for Google Play.

6. Final note - I have experienced some problems in Android 4.4, as mentioned in previous comments. Is appery expecting to make a available a target sdk for 4.4 soon? Or just a skip to android 5? I am still seeing on 4.2 in my builder.

Thanks as always for your assistance!!

Matt Scott

I am really interested to hear what the staff and developers find after looking into this. I know it takes a bit of time, and I appreciate your help.

I must say, while I truly appreciate all of your help and your time, and you are always very helpful with great support - honestly, some the suggestions I have received thus far in this thread are quite frightening...

"You could try putting less components on page. Also using a dialog instead of side panel could help you to increase performance."

"Less pages"

"Removing transition effects"

When one considers these suggestions, it could lead one to believe that the appery team would have me create an app with:

1. a plain screen,

2. only a few buttons/components here and there,

3. with no panel,
    and

4. no effects whatsoever - no matter how fundamental to modern apps.
    And then call that a successful build.

** I know that is not your intent to communicate that an android app built with appery must be just a few plain pages in order to function, but I just want to let you know how this sounds to a user of the service.** A bit scary.

For my app though - I still feel quite confident in your team. I know we can find a solution for my little app with just a few images, panels, collapsibles, and text. So thanks again for your time and efforts to help me find where I have somewhere gone wrong.

Thanks,
    Matt

Maryna Brodina

Hello!

Here are some problems we have found:

1) place all css changes that you are making for every page on load event in one css file, because on page load your event handler will be invoked and you will change your page's background every time.

2) Merge your css file, it will increase page rendering performance, or merge them before going to production.

3) Use images with size that fits your target devices, convert them to needed size and ratio. Remove images that you are not planing to use.

4) Merge sprites and use one single file instead many.

Genral advice :
5) Try using 'Apperyio' wrapper instead of 'Tiggzi' - this variable obsolete will be soon.

Return to “Issues”