Serhii Kulibaba

Cannot connect to MS SQL Instance from Rest API

Hello,

Actually, we don't have such functionality (select an instanse of the database), but we are working on it. It will be done in the one of our next releases.

leven.steve

I was going to try this out over the weekend but there's no point if I cannot get to an instance. Any timescales on which release / when we can expect this Sergiy?

Deon

Steve, I am currently using Dreamfactory to connect to various SQL databases, It works fine however you would need to have your own server on which you would need to install the stack.

Dreamfactory now charges for MS SQL connector ($10000 pa). MySQL and other db connectors are still free. So you would have to use an older version ie.V1.9

It works fine though but the the fact that they offered MS SQL connection for free initially and then started charging really sucks (Especially jumping from $0 to $10000).

That is the reason I wanted to use Appery's REST API. However this is not a viable option either as latency to the Appery server causes a massive delay in data access time (Tested to MySQL) and obviously the fact that you cant even connect to MS SQL (The connection to SQL Azure works though)

Deon

Please can you also reply regarding network latency issues. Is there a way around this. The optimal would be to have the REST API as part of the app and not as a Server Side (Middleware) option as this is a huge bottleneck. Don't know if that is possible.

Even better would be to have drivers that allow connection directly to any db, like most development IDE's that are available.

Serhii Kulibaba

The only one way to connect to the remote database is API Express. It could be possible to connect to the remote database with some Cordova plugin directly from the app, but we don't have such example, please search online for appropriate solution.

Deon

Thanks. Could you please answer the actual question of why I cant connect to a Named MS SQL instance via your API Express as well please.

maxkatz

API Express doesn't support connecting to a Named MS SQL instance today. This is something API Express will support in the future.

Deon

Well, quite honestly you need to remove MS SQL from the list as 99% of MS SQL databases run of named instances.

Galyna Abramovych
Site Admin

Hello everybody,

This is to let you know that today, API Express supports connecting to a Named MS SQL instance.
To do it, you need to define the instance under the Connection properties for the particular Database connection.

Deon

Thank you.

Return to “Issues”