Bruce Stuart

All IOS xCode Exports - Take 2 Times to Work

Hello,

I have a number of projects I work with Each day.

For each project today, and for the past week or so - when exporting to xCode - on the first try - the build almost always fails.

If I press 'retry' the export - it succeeds on the second try. If the process only took say 2 minutes - this would not be a super large concern - however most exports to xCode take over 5-10 minutes to complete (**and not on cheap hardware) - so I starts to get expensive to customers and a large amount of non productive time.

Please help.

Illya Stepanov

Hello Bruce -

The build time is not related to your hardware, it happens on the Appery.io build servers, and there might happen to be a queue of binary builds that also could affect the overall time taken.

To make that process faster we can suggest using the feature "auto-update": https://docs.appery.io/docs/appexport...

As for the build first-run fail - we can investigate what might be causing this if you share it with support or provide us with the project details such as GUID number.

Tom Kyle

Sounds like auto update is a great way to go so I thought I'd give it a try.

I have followed all the steps indicated in the link provided but still don't seem to be getting the autoupdate to work either.

See me various settings below.

I have built the App and released a version through itunes connect testflight to have on my device. I rebuilt the app with some changes and exported build as the instructions to Auto Update. Restarted the app on my phone and no updates came through.

What am I doing wrong - thoughts?

Image Image Image Image

Serhii Kulibaba

Did you install the last version from the testsflight?
All auto updates are coming after that

Tom Kyle

Yes I did. But I have since done another version update and exported it but cannot seem to see it on the device.

A couple of questions:

1. Does Auto Update only work with Testflight? if so then only users within our testing group will have access to Auto Updates?
  2. What happens to users that get the latest release from the App Store or Google Play rather than test flight. Can they get updates automatically using the Auto Update process
Bruce Stuart

Serhii and Tom,

Auto update is wonderful - WHEN IT WORKS - WHICH IS INFREQUENTLY. I have or had auto update on for a number of our products. Here are the flaws and deficiencies:

1. It DOES NOT work on all devices / all networks. It seems that users with either less space on their phones / icloud or 3rd world countries (say India specifically) - don't get the auto updates. Try as we will or try as we did - they apply only in SOME circumstances.

2. The updates are not SMART ! In other words - I build my product at version 12 - turn auto update on . Do an update 2 days into version 12. Then - in week 2 - I release version 13. Auto update is on.

Guess what - when the version 13 loads to the phone - if auto update is on - it RELOADS the code from VERSION 12. Totally and absolutely non desireable.

3. To work around Problem 2 - when you release Version 13 in my example - you can do an auto update - but that too is a challenge - sometimes your code after updating Version 12 - does not update Version 13.

It's a customer service disaster.

AutoUpdate - It's good for beta testing sometimes when you have a small local team but miserable for production or larger scale beta tests with disparate testing teams in different locations.

Serhii - in terms of my product - here's the GUID and I've turned share with support on.

d7902835-2ff7-49e3-974b-33505b90400f (Guid)

Name: Smile Rewards

this issue is NOT limited to this project. You can (or I can) repro it across various Appery accounts ( I currently have access to about 10 different accounts as these people are my customers) - and this issue occurs on virtually EVERY account we have touched for the last 2 weeks.

Bruce

Bruce Stuart

See my comment below - until or unless the deficiencies are fixed - not advisable to use auto update. It can be - and was - a great feature. However, in its current state - I would advise against this route.

Bruce Stuart

Serhii -

This error also has occurred with a customer of mine that informed you of his error 1 week ago (last Thursday) via email. Stout Industries - Greg Molloy. Please check your email support tickets from a week ago.

Here's my re-currance:

Here's the build error from 09:15am 05/25/2018 PDT:

http://prntscr.com/jmkko0

Here's the success on Try #2 - about 10 minutes later:

http://prntscr.com/jmktk0

Bruce

Tom Kyle

Thanks Bruce I appreciate your advice. I wait for Serhil to respond before trying anything else to do with Auto Updates.

Bruce Stuart

Serhii,

As an update to these two issues:

1. Auto update - the problem platform is IOS. Android works every time and as expected.

2. Compile issue - seems to be better yesterday and today. Will advise later.

Bruce

Return to “Issues”