BananaGator

AUTO UPDATE Poor user Experience leading to multiple phone calls and bad reviews.

Max, are you suggesting that there is a way to only deploy to one type of platform? If so, that would be great to know how that can be done. If not, then the deploy-then-publish is still a must for those of us that do not (or cannot) wait for 2+ weeks for Apple to approve the latest app version with minor changes.

maxkatz

AUTO UPDATE Poor user Experience leading to multiple phone calls and bad reviews.

Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant -- the auto update functionality is optional and you can turn it off. You can publish an app update using the traditional approach via an app store.

BananaGator

Well, that part was always very clear. :) My solution is so that both iOS and Android can have the latest code, and for Android, the users will not have to sit through a black screen, which could potentially lead them to leave bad reviews.

Andrew Peacock

Hi Max,
Is there any update for this? I'm getting ready for my app to launch, and the final piece of framework I need in place is a smooth update process. I don't want the personal pain of recompiling/republishing the updated binaries, but I can't have the black screen for 30 seconds that I get currently.

There are workable solutions from other libraries available, but I need to know whether to start working on integrating them into my app, or whether your solution (obviously my preference) will be ready in an appropriate timescale.

Regards,
Andy

maxkatz

Hi Andy - it's work in progress, but I don't have a date to share yet. One option is to do regular app store updates.

Kal

Just wanted to add my voice to this: The black screen on Android update is causing bad user experience. I don't necessarily want users to be given a dialog to let them choose to update (I rather like that it forces the update, so they don't keep using the older buggy version). But, an "Update in Progress" popup (like what it does for IOS) is a must for Android as well.

Kal

Max, this update came and went, but looks like the Black Screen is still very much there, and still giving me support calls. What gives?

maxkatz

We didn't update the auto-update feature yet. We will, but I don't have a date to share. The update a month ago was to fix a number of bugs.

Kal

OK. Is this really all that difficult, or is the priority considered low? It has been outstanding for so long now!

Return to “Issues”