Vinny B

AUTO UPDATE Poor user Experience leading to multiple phone calls and bad reviews.

Auto update has become a nightmare on Apple. Even if they leave the app open and open a different app when they go back to my app it searches for an update. Is there a way I can stop this without pushing a new version through the app store?

Julian De La Rosa

AUTO UPDATE Poor user Experience leading to multiple phone calls and bad reviews.

updates are like a queue if you push many then you will have this effect. I updated to version 3 of cordova and that stopped to happen to me. But in Android i still see that there's no message at all.

Serhii Kulibaba

Hello Vinny,

It is impossible to start/stop auto update programmatically

Julian De La Rosa

You must be sure not to press too many autoupdates maybe that could be your problem. It was mine. I pushed like 4 autoupdates and when opened the app i received the same as you

Vinny B

ok thanks julian.. It seems to be an IOS 9 issue ill try your idea

Frank7390035

Hi,

I have received a very negative review from an Android user who said that the app froze his phone. In my android emulator, with auto-update the app will not show the "update in progress" message, so users think that something is not working with the app.

What can I do to show the "update in progress" on Android?

Thanks,
Frank

Julian De La Rosa

Also for spanish users this message should be configurable in some place? will be Bueno

Serhii Kulibaba

It is impossible to control auto-update and add listener to it. Auto-update is triggered before app's initialisation.

John Black

Sergiy -

That may answer Julian's question but Frank's question is still outstanding. We too experience the problem on our Android app that when an update is pushed out, the app shows a black screen with no indication that anything is happening. it appears to the user that the app is locked up. The auto update lasts anywhere from 20 to 40 seconds - long enough for a user to get fed up. After the updates are processed, then the splash screen displays followed shortly by the app.

However, on iOS devices, it shows a nice message in the center of the splash screen. We need a message showing on Android that gives the same indication that something is happening. We don't necessarily need to control it, but we do need it to show on the screen to the app user. Since the auto update code is attached to our apps in order to facilitate the update process, you, Appery, do control it and can make it show a message before our app code is initialized.

I've attached a screen shot of both our iOS and Android app during the loading of an auto update push. You'll see the loading message on iOS on the left and the black screen shown to users on Android on the right.

maxkatz

No questions here, we need to make the update experience much better. It's already on our road map with a high priority.

Return to “Issues”