SteveLacy

"unfortunately, app has stopped" after recent update

I have an app that I released in the Google Play Store several months ago and I've been incorporating and releasing updates over the past several months. I released version 18 to the Google Play store on September 6th.

I found that the app would crash (stop working and my phone would present a message "Unfortunately, Church App Live has stopped") when I return to the home launch screen when running the deployed app. I have had customers also complain of the same issue.

I rebuilt the app launch screen, tested using both the web tester and the Android app tester without any issues (the app runs fine in these environments). I then released the update to the app to the Google Play Store and it also crashed upon launch (although it runs fine in test environments).

I have been grappling with what may be causing the issue and began disabling features on the launch screen (ie - I disabled the geolocation that is called on launch, removed buttons that had some javascript actions, etc.). With each iteration, it tests fine on both the Android tester and the web site, but once deployed to the Google Play Store, the app crashes upon launch after a few seconds.

Is there some way I can determine what is causing the issue? This is very important to me to be able to correct this problem.

Illya Stepanov

Hello Steve - how you test the app from Google Play Store? On what devices, OS version?

SteveLacy

I was able to figure out this issue. The problem was related to Android permissions. Once I enabled "Wake_Lock" that solved the problem. I had also removed the geo-location, but I should be able to re-enable it without an issue.

Clues came from users that had reported crashes using the Google Play store feature that pops up when the app crashes.

Return to “Issues”