RP

IPhone App works on Appery.io Tester when reading contacts, but cannot read contacts when deployed through TestFlight

Hello,

I've been using Appery.io to build a simple contact reader. I've followed the tutorial and have the latest libraries for the app development. The app is simple, it reads the phone's contacts and displays them in a list. The app works in Appery.io on IOS/IPhone, however, when I publish the app to the Apple Store Connect using TestFlight the app fails to read the contacts from the IPhone.

I checked the Appery.io general settings including ones under the IOS Binary/Keys and I don't see any issues with misconfiguration. The app works well in the android environment deployed as an apk. I suspect the IOS side there is a missing permission request for contact reading. I don't see the setting in Appery.io for IOS with regards to that. Is this a limitation of Appery.io? Do I need to modify the config.xml to allow for IOS to enable permissions to read the contacts from an IPhone?

I recall in another thread that the Appery.io tester and the actual deploying of the app can behave differently, so I can understand that, however, I don't see why there isn't a setting on the IOS side in Appery.io to indicate read contact permissions is needed. So I'm not sure how to indicate that (assuming that is the main issue here)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

RP

IPhone App works on Appery.io Tester when reading contacts, but cannot read contacts when deployed through TestFlight

All,

I figured this out and thought I respond to my own question so the community can benefit in the future.

A couple things to note:

1. If you modify any source files like the config.xml, the appery.io visual editor like in this case the App settings section will no longer "work" or be valid if you make edits there as since the config.xml has been touched manually, you will then need to proceed to manual edit that file from then on. This is made clear by appery.io with the alert message, but still mentioning this again, as even build numbers or ios vs android settings will now need to be edited directly to the xml source file.
  2. It turns out for IOS the appery.io app settings visual editor either has a bug or doesn't have capability to add the ios permissions to the config.xml file. This is the problem i was having above in this thread. So once I editing the config.xml file with the following script I got the ios app to work as it instructs ios to request for contact read permission.

Code: Select all

param name="ios-package" value="CDVContacts"  

Allows for you to send referral codes to your contacts 

Enjoy,
Vahe Image

Illya Stepanov

Hey Vahe,

Thanks for sharing this valuable information with Appery.io community!
Yes, there is such limitation that you would need manually edit config.xml file in the Source view to add such permissions into the final iOS App.

As far as I know, we had reported about this to our Dev team and the work on it should be started already, I will check this. In the future platform updates, we would like this feature to be on so that the user would be able to make such settings edits in the menu.

Galyna Abramovych
Site Admin

Hello again,

This is to let you know that the issue has been resolved. Could you please check it? And be sure you are using the latest lib versions.

Return to “Issues”