Joseph Francis

Appery MP4 Video download fails

Any video file uploaded to my appery "files" table fails to download correctly.

https://api.appery.io/rest/1/db/files...

If you access this file in Chrome or Safari, the file will download, but something is wrong with the data, and it fails to play.

The same file hosted on a different server than appery downloads and plays with no problem.

Crystal Taggart

I had the same issue (I tried multiple ways through both Apperyio file system and through amazon s3.) I found it was working in the browser but not in the app.

I ended up writing a javascript to set the URL src during the page show event:
var player = document.getElementById('MyAvatar_vd_Avatar');
var src=Apperyio('vd_Avatar').find('source').first();
src.attr('src',s3Path );
src.attr('type', 'video/mp4');
player.load();

Joseph Francis

Thanks Crystal,

I dropped the video file in my source tree under files/resources/image for now, it basically looks like any other Appery media file inside the app.

The problem is extra simple for Appery team - either you can download a MP4 file unmangled or you can't :) I saw you had asked them earlier, and I thought I'd just make it real simple - you can't even download a video into a browser, as you can with images or other objects stored in the files.

If you're playing with images and videos, you may want to look at ImgCache from github - I use it extensively to cache the image information on the device (iPhone, Android), and it works in Chrome and Firefox browser nicely, but only Mobile Safari.

I also am using Vide from github to handle the video containers - startup, ready, play, etc. with some small extensions. Don't know your app but may make coding simpler.

-Joe

Crystal Taggart

Thanks Joe- I'll check that out!

Illya Stepanov

Hi Joseph -

We have tested your use-case and for us everything works correctly.

Downloading the file and getting the link to the file inside the browser.

Joseph Francis

Ilya,

Quit simply it doesn't work.

It displays a video player, but it will not play if you click the 'play' button. It doesn't work in Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. The video data is corrupt. If I download it from a different server from appery, it plays fine.

Evgene Karachevtsev

Hello Joseph,

We tested your link and it works for us in FF and Safari. But it doesn't work in Chrome. Could you please upload some other mp4 files to your db and test them? Because all the files we uploaded to our db played correctly.

Return to “Issues”