Joseph Francis

Definitive Android Splash Instructions

I'd like to have definitive instructions for having functional Android Splash Screens - with Appery. There are a scattering of posts here, with references to multiple outside-of-appery sources, including necessity for downloading the entire Google Android Development environment for images (for the patch9 editor), external references (read the cordova documentation). Why should I have to read that, and get a separate development environment to use one of the most basic functions of Appery - setup a splash image?

First, the default mode of creating a splash image in Appery does not work, and I am mystified why it is released as such. The splash image which is created by uploading an image file in the Android binary screen produces a distorted image, as has been noted by many people.

https://getsatisfaction.com/apperyio/topics/android_binary_launch_images?_ga=1.2919152.1348878331.14...
https://getsatisfaction.com/apperyio/topics/launch_images_could_be_a_problem

I dutifully uploaded a correctly sized image per the specifications in Appery, and the image failed to display without distortion on my android device. Guys, the basic functioning Appery fails to produce an executable android that doesn't have distorted screens.

Second, reading further (nowhere apparently documented in Appery itself), I created a 9-patch image for appery to use with corners marked as stretchable. I uploaded it to the android image area, but of course, that does nothing - I have an app with a distorted splash screen.

Third, without any further documentation in Appery, I have to read exceptional support information and find that I must edit the source tree of appery, and add a splash.9.png image for the formats I want. Why do I have to pore through appery support screens for this? Every single application has a splash screen.

Now I uploaded an edited splash.9.png in the correct 'size according to cordova' from yet another posting, but the application will not build. This is also a not uncommon error as noted in several postings. I cannot determine why it won't build, I cannot determine what is wrong with the splash image, and am unable to proceed further, really.

This has taken me, well, maybe a week of playing around at this point.
Can you write definitive documentation on splash screens in android, as a tutorial, with specific examples, rather than hints, half-replies, and references to documentation external to Appery, which, when used, provoke no correct result.

Yurii Orishchuk

Hi Joseph,

We need some time to answer this question.

We will update you here as soon as possible.

Regards.

Alena Prykhodko

Dear Joseph,

Please provide us with a public app link http://devcenter.appery.io/documentat... so we can take a look.
Also specify your device.

Return to “Issues”